March 27, 2021
When ridesharing companies started business ridesharing option was considered to be for people who wanted to save money on gas. Over the years the popularity of ridesharing services like Uber & Lyft have grown immensely in popularity.
Ridesharing is a rage in San Diego and around, people view ridesharing as a safe and comparatively less expensive way to travel. Companies like Uber and Lyft operate similarly to taxi and limousine services but they are not regulated in the same manner.
Each rideshare option is unique and it can become complicated if a Rideshare cab gets involved in a crash or accident. Several passengers have had a bad experience while ridesharing.
Though it is an inexpensive and easier mode of transport, there are many complications associated in case of an unfortunate rideshare accident. It involves additional insurance considerations which are confusing and difficult to pursue compensation for the injuries suffered by the passengers or victims.
If a person is injured or a victim of a Rideshare car accident‚ it is important to understand the law and know who would be responsible for compensating for the medical expenses‚ lost income‚ and other costs.
If you or your family member has been involved in a rideshare accident in San Diego, you will need the assistance of a professional San Diego Rideshare accident lawyer who can help you understand the legal process and help you seek your due compensation.
As a victim of a Rideshare accident, if you want to file a Rideshare accident claim, it is important to take certain steps to ensure your rights are protected.
Your top priority should be to seek medical attention and get in touch with professional San Diego Rideshare accident lawyers who handle represent you and handle all correspondence with the insurance company and the ridesharing company.
Lawyers with their experience and knowledge can and help you receive the highest settlement possible.
There are many things in rideshare accident cases that are not applicable to accident claims involving regular vehicles. Some of the types of cases that are handled by rideshare accident lawyers are:
- Injuries sustained by Passengers of the cab
- Injuries to the drivers of rideshare cabs
- Injuries to passengers of other vehicles involved in the crash
- Injuries to Pedestrians involved in the accident
- Wrongful death claims in a rideshare accident
- Other types of rideshare accident claims
Unless you are responsible for the accident or crash, the liability of a Rideshare accident falls on the ridesharing company or the driver. It is believed that the company is held liable in case of an accident.
However, it is not true. The liability is determined by the fact whether the driver was logged into the rideshare app when the accident occurred.
- The driver of the ridesharing vehicle is completely liable for the accident if he/she was not logged into the ridesharing app during the accident.
- If the driver was logged into the company app but had not taken any passengers yet, in case of an accident the Rideshare company would accept a part of the liability.
- If a driver was logged into the rideshare app and had taken a passenger in the car or is was on the way to pick the passenger, in case of an accident the Rideshare company will claim full liability.
Other than the Ridesharing company and the driver other potentially liable parties in rideshare accidents are:
- The driver of another vehicle who caused the accident
- In case the accident was caused due to poorly maintained roads or lights then the civic body or any entity that is responsible for maintaining the street can be held liable.
- If a defective or malfunctioning auto part or vehicle was the cause for the accident, then the manufacturer or distributor of vehicle parts can be held liable if it is proved that a defective auto part led to the crash.
To prove the liability and responsibility of a party for the accident that caused the injuries, one should be able to prove that the at-fault party owed a duty of care and there was a breach in that duty of care. The breach in the duty of care was the reason behind the accident which resulted in the injuries.
Contacting an experienced San Diego rideshare accident lawyer who is familiar with ridesharing laws in the state of California will help you determine which party is liable for your accident and who would be responsible to pay the settlement.
Rideshare accidents are unique as the victims are often passengers of the vehicle who have little-to-no control over the situation. They end up suffering injuries and trauma through no fault of their own.
Therefore, rideshare accident victims are entitled to recover damages from the liable parties by filing a personal injury claim. Victims can recover both economic and non-economic damages.
Economic damages are awarded in personal injury claims as compensation for the victim’s financial losses that are associated with the accident. Some of the economic damages which can be recovered in a Rideshare accident are:
- Cost of Hospitalization
- Cost of Surgery
- Cost of medicines and nursing care
- Loss of property damage
- Loss of wages or future income
- Reduced earning capacity
Rideshare accidents can lead to serious emotional and psychological trauma and impact. There are many injuries that don’t result in a direct financial cost but are serious and devastating.
In personal injury claims, non-economic damages are awarded for compensating these difficult to value injuries and sufferings. Some of the non-economic damages which can be recovered in case of a Rideshare accident are:
- Emotional trauma
- Psychological pain and suffering
- Mental anguish and stress
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of consortium
If you have been a victim of a Rideshare accident in San Diego or anywhere in California, our team of experienced and dedicated lawyers at Khashan Law can represent you and fight for your rights. Over the last few decades, Khashan Law has been handling all types of a car accident and personal injury claims.
We can represent you whether you were the passenger of the Rideshare vehicle or a pedestrian on the road or a passenger of another vehicle hit by a Rideshare cab. Call us today at (951) 461-2387 for a free, confidential consultation.