While buses are considered to be the safest modes of transport in the city. Bus travel is the most common method of travel in Los Angeles. Buses are considered common carriers and the drivers are expected to drive diligently and with utmost care.
The California Civil Code Section 2100 directs the bus carriers to have a reasonable degree of skill and do everything required for the safety of the passengers. Yet there can be instances when a bus you are travelling in gets involved in an accident and you sustain injuries.
You may have sustained injuries due to a lack of safety measures taken or because of the negligence of the driver, the bus company or the manufacturer of the bus. The process of claiming and recovering compensation in a bus accident is very complex as compared to recovering compensation in a two-car accident.
Experienced bus accident lawyers in Los Angeles can help you file your claim and represent you in the court of law. Their experience can help you get the right representation and the best possible settlement.
The bus accident victims can be classified under two major heads:
- When a bus accident involves the collision or crash of another vehicle with the bus. The members of the other vehicle who do not survive or sustain injuries are the victims of the bus accident. In most instances, it is a small car or vehicle which collides with the bus resulting in catastrophic injuries like brain injuries, spinal cord injuries etc. Unfortunately, many victims do not survive the collision.
- The people who are riding the bus who gets involved in crashes, are also at the risk of suffering injuries or being killed due to the impact of the accident. These are the second types of bus accident victims.
What are the different types of Bus accidents?
The different types of buses which can get involved in an accident are:
- Public transit bus
- School bus
- Shuttle bus
- Commercial, private, and charter buses like tour buses
What are the common causes of Bus accidents?
There are several reasons and factors which could be responsible for a bus accident. Some of the most common causes are:
- Old buses with old and dated equipment and technology
- Defective parts of the bus
- Negligence of the bus driver
- Dangerous roadway or construction on the roads
- Unsuitable and harsh weather conditions
- Lack of regular maintenance and inspection of the bus
- Lack of proper bus driver training
How can a Bus Accident Lawyer in Los Angeles help the victims?
In the majority of the cases, the bus accident victims suffer from severe and in some cases incapacitating and permanent injuries like paralysis, burns, broken and fractured bones, carbon monoxide poisoning, amputation of hands or legs etc.
Some of the victims may require a lifetime of care due to the severity of their injuries, they may not be able to go back to work or continue the work they were doing.
This may lead to a drastic fall in their quality of life. Additionally, for victims who can no longer work and require long-term care, their expenses may mount and the finances would become unmanageable.
Post a bus accident the victims and their families are required to negotiate with the insurance companies, hold discussions for compensation with the bus companies and also try to gather evidence to determine the guilty party. Most of the times the victims and the families are in no position to do all this.
This is where the role of bus accident lawyer comes in. Below mentioned are a few ways in which a bus accident law firm or lawyer can help the victim:
- Representing the bus accident victim and family and defending their rights against the bus companies and their insurers.
- Take care of all the legal aspects and ensure all the documents are filed properly and on time, allowing the victim to concentrate on their own health and wellbeing.
- Help the bus accident victims and families to recover the best possible compensation
- Ensure the guilty party is held accountable and is dissuaded from hurting others in the future.
What types of damages can be claimed in a bus accident case?
A victim of a bus accident or the family is entitled to recover compensation for their personal injury whether they are injured as a passenger of a vehicle that was involved in a bus accident. A claim of compensation can be brought against either public or private bus companies. A bus accident claim can include:
- Medical expenses, present and future
- Loss of wages
- Loss of future earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Mental and emotional trauma
- Disfigurement and scarring
- Loss of property
- Loss of consortium
- Punitive damages
A bus accident lawyer in Los Angeles can help you determine the types of damages to which you are entitled as a victim of a bus accident. The extent of the damages will be determined by the circumstances of the bus accident.
There are many differences between public and private bus companies, therefore it is important that you hire a bus accident law firm that can guide you on how to proceed with a bus accident case. Public bus companies are protected by complicated negligence standards to provide immunity to the government from private suits.
The experienced bus accident lawyers at Khashan Law have successfully represented and fought for clients in several accident injury cases. Our team work closely with medical and financial professionals to determine the total amount of damages suffered by the victim. Call us today for a free and confidential consultation at (951) 461-2387.