A burn injury has a lasting impact on the victim’s life. The burns result in scarring and disfigurement of the victim, restricting them from enjoying their life and conducting their daily activities.
The American Burn Association says that around 3,400 people in USA lose their lives due to fire, burns or smoke inhalation. Every year more than 40,000 people across USA are hospitalized with burn injuries.
A victim can suffer from burn injuries in many different situations, they can get burnt in a car accident or in an electrical mishap. Chemical related accidents at work or home can also result in burns, inflammation of defective electric products or spilling of hot food or drink at a restaurant.
Types of Burns:
Depending on the severity of the burns, they can range from being mild to painful and scarring to being fatal. The burns are rated from first to third degree depending on their severity.
- First Degree Burns: First degree burns are responsible for damaging or burning only the top layer of skin. The area of burn turns red, has swelling and in some cases the skin peels off. Though painful, this is the mildest type of burn and generally takes a week to heal
- Second-degree burns: Second degree burns go deeper and damage the deeper layers of the skin. They result in severe swelling and open blisters are formed on the affected rea. It takes more than three weeks for second degree burn victims to recover completely.
- Third-degree burns: Third-degree burns: Third degree burns are the most ghastly and most painful. The burns go all the way down and reach the tissue beneath the skin. Treatment for third degree burns required hospitalization. Victims are scarred or disfigured permanently.
Compensation for Burn Injuries:
The cost for treatment for burns is huge. Other than the expensive treatment, victims of burn injuries lose their income as they take time to recover, or in case severe disfigurement they may even lose their earning capability. If the victim does not have adequate insurance, they and their family would have to face a severe strain on their finances.
- 66% of the burn victims, suffer from scarring and disfigurement and treatment for such cases cost anywhere between $28,000 and $35,000
- Burn victims tend to contract infections, treatment for which is an ongoing process and could cost $58,000 to $120,000, depending on the severity of the infections.
- The cost for Skin breakdown would be another $38,000 to $107,000
- Psychological counselling and treatment for the burn victims to help them overcome their issues can cost between $16,000 and $75,000
Overall a burns treatment could cost over $200,000, and an average Californian will not be financially prepared to bear these huge costs of treatment.
Whether first degree or third degree burns, living with burns is not easy and they have a huge impact on your life. Whether you have attained burn injuries in an accident or an explosion, an experienced burn injuries lawyer will help you get the full compensation you deserve.
We at Khashan Law will help you fight for your damages and protect your rights as a personal injury victim. We will help in planning the recovery process depending on the severity of the burns received. Will assist you to claim damages for your personal trauma and suffering, medical bills both present and future, lost wages, permanent disfigurement etc. As a specialist burn injuries lawyer we will help you steer your way through the mounting medical bills and emotional trauma. We will help in arranging additional documents which might be required for building a strong case.
We have won a number of cases of burn injuries and have helped the victims in obtaining full compensation for their present and future damages. Call us at (951) 461-2387 for a free, confidential consultation.
Contact a Southern California Personal Injury Lawyer
The Southern California Personal Injury Lawyers at Khashan Law represents clients injured by dog bites, car accidents, workplace accidents, accidents on another’s property, medical malpractice, and wrongful death cases. If you think you may have a personal injury case, please do not hesitate to seek the expert legal assistance you need to make things right. It costs nothing to call us, costs nothing for a consultation, and costs nothing to get us started looking out for your rights if we agree that you have a solid case.
Unexpected and unfortunate things happen to good people. Our caring legal professionals are here to help you recover the financial payment you deserve so you can get on with your life. Remember, all legal fees are based on a percentage of the award, and you pay nothing for our services until we win your case. We have three conveniently-located offices in Southern California.
Southern California Cities we serve include, but are not limited to:
- LOS ANGELES
- SAN DIEGO
- LONG BEACH
- SANTA ANA
- CHULA VISTA
- SAN BERNARDINO
- HUNTINGTON BEACH
- MORENO VALLEY
- GARDEN GROVE
- COSTA MESA
- MISSION VIEJO
- NEWPORT BEACH
- SANTA MONICA
Do you have questions about your Personal Injury Case?
If you are an accident victim who has been injured in a vehicle accident, in a slip and fall accident at some business or facility, or injured by the negligent and wrongful conduct of others, and need answers to your questions or to find out what your case is worth, please call us today at (951) 461-2387 for a free, confidential consultation. Or if you prefer, fill out our Contact Form. A lawyer or staffer from Southern California Personal Injury Lawyers will call as soon as possible you to schedule an appointment.