Riding bicycles are considered an environmentally-friendly and healthy alternative to driving a car. However, sharing the road with motor-powered vehicles and trucks can prove to be extremely dangerous, as most bikers don’t stand a chance against the powerful, heavy-duty machinery of vehicles capable of causing severe and sometimes fatal injuries. Our bicycle accidents lawyers at Khashan Law Firm represent victims all over Temecula to ensure they are able to collect the full compensation they are entitled to for the traumatic experience as well as to begin the journey of recovery.
Causes of Bike Accidents
One of the top causes of bicycle collisions involving motor-powered vehicles is driver negligence. Bikes offer little protection and leave riders considerably vulnerable compared to their counterparts riding alongside them, which makes it a bigger obligation for vehicle operators to be more aware and diligent of their surroundings while driving. When a person is driving with negligence, bicycle crashes and serious damage and personal injuries may easily occur. Some common examples of negligent driving include:
- Driving while intoxicated or impaired by medication or other drugs
- Running a red light
- Running a stop sign
- Reckless driving
- Failing to yield at intersections
Common Bicycle Accident Injuries
Even with helmets and proper protective gear, bicyclists are likely to get seriously hurt or suffer a variety of injuries in an accident involving other cars, trucks, or buses regardless of speed. Other common bicycle accidents involve injury from falling off bicycles due to loss of balance from poorly maintained roadways or being startled. Some of the common bike injuries include:
- Brain injuries
- Broken bones/fractures
- Spinal injuries
- Wrongful deaths
Bicycle Injury Risk Factors
Accidents can happen anywhere and at any time. There are certain risk factors that will increase chances of a bicycle happening such as:
- Age & Gender – Bicyclists who are younger, such as kids and teenages, are more likely to be hurt in an accident. However, older bicyclists between 50-60 years old are most likely to be killed in the event of a crash. Men are also significantly more likely to be hurt or killed than women.
- Location – Where there is more traffic present, especially in urban areas, increases the likelihood for a bike collision to happen, usually when bicycles may be harder for drivers to spot. In situations when traffic may be coming simultaneously from different directions, such as intersections also pose increased risks for bicyclists.
- Time – Accidents with bikes are more likely to occur during after work rush hour between approximately around 6:00 P.M to 9:00 P.M. when the roads are much busier. Summer season during June through August also holds the highest percentage of bike crash occurrences.
- Visibility – Riding bikes during the evening or during poor visibility conditions also increases the likelihood of an accident happening. That said, it is extremely important that every bike rider is seen at night by having the proper lights and reflectors on their bicycles; a good tip is to wear brightly colored clothing and/or apparel that reflects light, similar to construction safety vests.
- Alcohol – Approximately 35% of bike crashes involve intoxication. Drunk cyclists and drivers experience the same vision, reaction time, and judgement impairments. Although drunk cycling is not taken less seriously than drunk driving, it is still a criminal offense and can cause serious harm.
- Head Injuries – Head injuries are very serious and is the leading cause of death for cyclists. Wearing helmets significantly decreases the risk of head injuries as much as by 50%. Although helmet use for adults in the US is generally not required by law, we at Khashlan Law strongly encourage every bike rider to prioritize safety by wearing a helmet. It can save your life!
It is important to note not all bicycle accidents will be grounds for a lawsuit. Bicyclists have a duty to ride carefully while also taking responsibility for their actions. However, if a bike crash was caused by poor bike design or maintainance, you were startled, someone unexpectedly got in your path, or you were riding on poorly maintained roads or sidewalks, consult with an experienced member of our Khashan team to discuss your case and determine what may be legally actionable.
If you are looking for a bicycle accident attorney in Temecula, Please call Khashan Law Firm today for a free consultation. We will do what it takes to help win your case while ensuring our clients collect the highest compensation possible.