Usually, you would think traveling by train would be significantly safer than by car, boat, or plane. Many people have fears of flying or traveling on the dangerous highways, but when there are train wrecks we are left dumbfounded. How could this happen? With its own designated railway away from most traffic, it should be mean increased safety. However, train accidents are more common than many are aware of. Accidents usually happen when vehicles are stalled or purposefully left on railroad tracks, drivers confusing railroad signals, equipment fails/malfunctions, or the train operator is momentarily distracted.
If you or a loved one suffered injuries or property damage from a train-related incident in San Bernardino County, you may be entitled to compensation for your losses. We at Khashan Law will provide the best train accidents lawyer to assist you in determining the pursuit of your case to help you begin the recovering process.
What do I do if I’ve been in a train accident?
The shock of being involved in such a traumatic event may still haven’t worn off within hours, or days after the experience. You still may be left disoriented without knowing what to do. Here are some things you should take care of following the accident to help ensure you receive the best possible recovery for your losses.
- Preserve Evidence
You may assume law enforcement involved in investigating the causes of the accident will gather all evidence you will be able to utilize in your claim. However, train companies involved will also have their own self-interests during the investigation and you can’t rely the local and federal government to do a thorough job. Do your best to take note of as much details and circumstances surrounding the scene as possible. Some questions to consider are:
- Was there an attempt to brake prior to the collision?
- Where did the train accident occur?
- Who was present at the scene – both inside the train and outside?
- Which emergency personnel responded?
- If the accident involved collision with your vehicle, notify your insurer as soon as possible (while keeping in mind its representatives will also act in favor of the insurance company’s own interests) and store your car in a place safe from tampering and further deterioration of evidence, preferably inside.
- Contact a Reputable Train Accident Attorney
- An experienced lawyer with an extensive background in train crash cases will be very familiar with handling the claim, be well-versed in the complicated laws surrounding these claims, with access to the tools and resources necessary to fight for you.
- Avoid Discussing Too Much Detail
- Even if it seems highly unlikely for you to be held responsible at all for the cause of the accident, refrain from speaking to investigators and others without first consulting with a train accident attorney. You may unknowingly provide them key information or details that may be used against you later. Contacting an attorney who will have your best interests first will help prevent that.
What Can I Recover in a Train Crash Case?
After such a catastrophic situation, we understand that money damages may not seem an adequate compensation for your injuries, property damages, or deaths. Compensation will be able to help ease the pain and pay for medical bills, services, and living needs for the victim and their family. Every case is different and injuries and losses are treated uniquely, as well as compensation. Our San Bernardino train accident lawyers will assist in determining whether you should seek damages for:
- Medical Bills/Home Health Care
Trains can do considerable damage to victims inside and outside the train in an accident. It is highly likely you or your loved one involved will require medical care. Some victims may suffer from severe permanent damage that will physically affect their ability to handle everyday things and require home health care/life care. Preventative care with health screenings may be recommended to victims that suffered injuries that may result in additional problems in the future without monitoring. After thorough investigation and determining the responsible party, the train accident-related costs will be held reliable to them.
- Property Damage
Damage to your property, for example your car or other belongings present at the time of the incident may be entitled to compensation.
- Interfering with Earning Capacity
If the injuries suffered in the crash are so severe that victims are unable to perform the heavy mental and physical tasks required from their workplace sometimes leaves these victims with no choice but to accept a lower-paying job or quit working entirely. In these cases, you may be able to recover some of your earning losses.
- Lost Wages
If you are absent from work due to your injuries suffered from the accident, you may be entitled to compensation.
- Emotional Damage
Pain and suffering damages in result of the incident are eligible for compensation for your traumatic experience.
- Wrongful Death
If the victim involved suffered a death, his or her close family members may be able to recover compensation for wrongful death damages.
How to find the right Train Accident Attorney
If too much times passes after the wreck, crucial evidence may be lost or tarnished so it is absolutely critical and time sensitive to seek the right attorney immediately after the accident. Khashan Law firm has helped settle several personal injury claims and we would be more than happy to work on your behalf to receive the compensation you deserve for your losses.
If you or a loved one has been involved in a train accident in San Bernardino area, please contact Khashan Law as soon as possible for a free consultation with a member of our team. We will fight in your best interest to win what you are entitled to allow your recovery from the physical, financial, and emotional damage endured.